Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Who the heck is Samantha Webb!?

Well, to start off I've lived in San Diego my whole life; born and raised. Kinda boring, I know, but I absolutely love the weather here so I'm happy. I've lived in the small town of Rancho Penasquitos (located off the 56 freeway, PQ for short) for about fifteen years. I lived in Mira Mesa before that and went to the elementary school there, Walker Elementary School. I only took kindergarten and first grade at Walker and finished elementary school at Deer Canyon which is located in PQ. After that I went to Mesa Verde Middle School and went on to Mt. Carmel High School. All three schools belong to the Poway Unified School District and I recently got a job with them. I'm super excited to work with the same people that inspired me and put the love that I have for education in my heart. I know it's cheesy but I really do enjoy school. The way I see it is I still have a while to go and I might as well make the most of it! After graduating Mt. Carmel, class of '09 I went on to Palomar. I didn't want to stay there longer than two years so I bulked up and took about sixteen units per semester. I graduated with a Certificate of Achievement in Spring of 2011 and transferred to CSUSM. My education is extremely important to me so I've only received three C's throughout my whole educational career. I am the first in my family to graduate college so I have lots of questions, but no matter I always give it my best shot!

I am extremely excited to be using technology! I grew up around PCs so Macs are foreign to me, but I catch on rather quick. My dad is a computer nerd and he's taught me everything I know; he always jumps at any opportunity to help me if I ask. I feel extremely comfortable using technology, because I'm always using it and I'm usually pretty eager to learn new things. I really enjoy "playing" with some of the programs to create different effects and features. So, I'm super excited to learn how to utilize technology as a teacher.

I really like the part where statement says that the mission is to transform education by "preparing thoughtful educators". For me and many other students, their educators makes all the difference. Subjects become fun or even just "do-able" for students because the educator has a positive attitude. Several subjects were like that for me throughout my educational career. To be honest, this was the first time I read the Mission Statement, so it wasn't part of my decision to attend CSUSM at all. Also I liked how the Mission Statement says that "our practices demonstrate a commitment to student-centered education...". I especially like the "student-centered education" part, because that's what is most important. It's not about the teacher, the staff, or the administors, it's about the students. That's how I view education and I find it extremely important.

4 comments:

  1. Born and raised in SD?! Not boring at all!! It's funny that you have to explain where PQ is though because everyone who goes to CSUSM is from North County =)

    Congrats on the job! Thats awesome that you got a job in the district that you went to school in. You will get some awesome experience there I'm sure. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Justine! :) Yeah when I tell people where I live I usually just say far south from here. It's surprising sometimes how many people don't know where the 56 freeway is! haha

    And yeah I'm super stoked about the job! I start on the 20th! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. San Diego is a beautiful place to live!

    Congrats on being the first in your family to graduate college...I will be the first in my family as well! Such an accomplishment!

    I also agree with opinion that student-centered education is important! Providing a positive and productive environment for learning is extremely important for students as well as our society as a whole!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Angela!! :) Yeah it definitely is quite an obstacle sometimes, but I'm excited to be the first! Congrats to you as well! I'm glad we share the same view!

    ReplyDelete