Monday, October 3, 2011

Journal #3: "Students Dig up Dirt to Learn About Internet Safety" by Jesse Morehouse

Morehouse, J. (2011). Students dig up dirt to learn about internet safety. Learning and Leading With Technology, 39(2), 34. Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/learn/publications/learning-and-leading/digital-edition-september-october-2011.aspx

Summary: I found this article to be very interesting; it definitely caught my interest. I liked how the teacher is actually showing the students just how easy it is to find so much information online, about almost anyone. It's one thing to just tell the students and inform them about internet safety and it's a totally different thing to actually have them discover it on their own. Like Jesse had said it becomes real for the students and they walk away from the project knowing that people are able to access all sorts of information about them. Technology safety is so important for students to learn! I learned it the hard way and it could have ended a lot worse than it did. I was obsessed with AIM when I was attending middle school, because I didn't really fit in at school. I would go into chatrooms and meet random people and friend them. I would talk to them almost everyday. I would get a feeling of friendship and popularity, because my friends list was so long. My parents ended up finding out; they deleted my account, blocked the program on my computer, and refused to let me use AIM or any other chatting program. I know that for many teens their story didn't end there. In a world that is growing more and more around technology, I want to make sure that as a teacher I express this importance to my students. I would love to have an exercise like what Jesse does with his students. Maybe I could set up a day where the students go online and try to find as much information about me as they can and then we can debrief from it and the students will then understand just how easy it is to access. Learning is experiencing and as a teacher I want to make sure that my students fully understand why safety is important.

Question #1: Why is internet safety so important for students to know?
Well, first of all there are lots of creepers out there in the world, who sadly what to kidnap young children. The students need to know to protect themselves from potential threats that are usually unknown. Also, because technology is becoming a part of the world's daily routine, students need to know what kind of information they shouldn't be putting out there. It not only puts them in danger but can potentially ruin their chances of getting a job.

Question #2: What kinds of programs should the students be cautious with?
As a teacher I would have my students use privacy settings for Facebook, Twitter, AIM, any other instant messaging they are using, Skype, and any programs that the students may be putting too much information in. I would discuss what kinds of areas in a profile they should leave blank or generalize. The students, especially at a young age should learn that people can easily find out a lot of information.  The way they can protect themselves, is to not put so much specific details into their profile.


No comments:

Post a Comment